Sumary of Biden’s vaccine rules ignite instant, hot GOP opposition:
- Vance, a conservative running for a U.S. Senate seat in Ohio, is calling on businesses to ignore mandates he describes as Washington’s “attempt to bully and coerce citizens.
- ”The opposition follows Biden’s announcement Thursday of a major plan to tame the coronavirus as the highly contagious Delta variant drives 1,500 deaths and 150,000 cases a day.
- The move brought Republican outrage from state capitals, Congress and the campaign trail, including from many who have supported vaccinations and have urged their constituents to take the shots.
- “The vaccine itself is life-saving, but this unconstitutional move is terrifying,” tweeted Mississippi Gov.
- Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw, who has promoted the vaccines’ safety to his constituents, said, “The right path is built upon explaining, educating and building trust, including explaining the risks/benefits/pros/cons in an honest way so a person can make their own decision.
- ”More than 208 million Americans have received at least one vaccine dose, but some 80 million remain unvaccinated, driving infections.
- A hospital system there started canceling elective surgeries this week to free staff to help with a crush of COVID-19 patients.
- “I am so disappointed that particularly some Republican governors have been so cavalier with the health of these kids, so cavalier with the health of their communities,” Biden said during his school visit.