Sumary of Calls for support as millions of Australians locked down:
- Coronavirus outbreaks have plunged more than half of Australia into lockdown, sparking calls for more federal support.
- Instead, people who lose work in designated hot spots can access weekly payments of between $375 and $600 when lockdowns extend beyond seven days.
- NCA NewsWire/Gary Ramage Credit: News Corp AustraliaShadow treasurer Jim Chalmers said national wage subsidies, which initially paid out $1500 a fortnight before being scaled back, were proven to work.
- ”Camera IconHealth Minister Greg Hunt has defended federal disaster payments amid calls to bring back JobKeeper.
- Credit: AAPHealth Minister Greg Hunt said disaster payments were higher than the $1000-a-fortnight rate JobKeeper ended at.
- Credit: AAPNSW recorded 78 new local infections, while SA recorded five.
- The Australian Council of Social Service estimates 800,000 welfare recipients who support 400,000 children have been excluded from disaster payments.