Sumary of ‘Despicable’: Cheney slams McCarthy after he pulls Republicans from Capitol attack committee – as it happened:
- House minority leader Kevin McCarthy pulled all his Republican appointees from the House select committee investigating the 6 January attack on the US Capitol after House speaker Nancy Pelosi rejected two of his choices, Jim Jordan and Jim Banks.
- Congresswoman Liz Cheney, who was appointed to the committee by Pelosi, had strong words for McCarthy and said she supported Pelosi’s decision as one of the two that Pelosi rejected “may well be a material witness to events that led to” the attack.
- The procedural cloture vote that would have moved debate on the bipartisan infrastructure deal to the floor did not pass in the Senate, as expected.
- Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer voted no as well, allowing himself to bring up another vote in the future.
- ” The majority of new Covid-19 cases – and 97% of hospitalizations – are among unvaccinated people, the health department said.
- Kennedy, a gun control advocate, is the president of the board and co-founder of the Edward M Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, a non-partisan nonprofit.
- The White House also said Biden is nominating Jamie Harpootlian, a South Carolina attorney and spouse of a powerful South Carolina Democratic ally, state senator Dick Harpootlian, for ambassador to Slovenia.
- In an op-ed for the Guardian, Bernie Sanders said that while the Democrats’ budget proposal is smaller than the one he’d originally sought, it “will be the most consequential piece of legislation for working people, the elderly, the children, the sick and the poor since FDR and the New Deal of the 1930s”.