Sumary of Force keeps fallen cop’s legacy alive:
- Victoria Police have launched a new initiative at local primary schools to honour a fallen colleague and much-loved community cop legacy..
- Victoria Police have launched a new initiative to engage local primary school students, in honour of a fallen officer who was tragically killed while riding his bike..
- Sea Lake community cop, Leading Senior Constable Dennis Cox, who was tragically killed in November last year, used to get a young student to write him a letter each week, to which he would reply with his own letter..
- Senior Constable Cox saw it as a way of fostering a positive engagement with the local kids and earning their respect..
- To honour Senior Constable Cox legacy, police in the state northwest have started rolling the program out in several primary schools across the region..
- initiative was launched at Donald Primary School on Friday morning, with the force also planning to include schools across the Buloke Shire in Sea Lake, Donald, Wycheproof, Culgoa, Birchip and Charlton..
- Donald Sergeant Darren Bull, Senior Constable Cox cousin and former supervisor, said he began the initiative as a way of helping a young student with his writing..
- he identified a young fella at Sea Lake who was struggling with his writing and didn’t want to write anything, so Dennis got him to write him a letter each week and Dennis replied to that letter….