Sumary of Israeli company set to become world’s first country to launch clinical trials of ORAL Covid vaccine:
- Oravax Medical, a subsidiary of Jerusalem-based Oramed Pharmaceuticals, has received a green light to begin the study from the Institutional Review Board at Sourasky Medical Center in Tel Aviv.
- Oramed CEO Nadav Kidron told The Jerusalem Post that an oral vaccine would be faster, cheaper and easier to manufacture than vaccines that are injected.
- Kidron explained the trials are initially being conducted as a ‘proof of concept’ rather than testing efficacy.
- ‘The idea here is that we want to show proof of concept: that it works for people,’ Kidron told The Jerusalem Post.
- Kidron says this should help the pill be much more effective against variant, which often have mutations on the spike protein.