Sumary of Most kids with serious inflammatory illness had mild COVID:
- Most children with a serious inflammatory illness linked to the coronavirus had initial COVID-19 infections with no symptoms or only mild ones, new U.S..
- The unusual post-infection condition tends to be milder in kids who were sicker with COVID-19, although more than half of affected youngsters received intensive hospital care, according to an analysis by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Tuesday in JAMA Pediatrics..
- cases of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children and bolsters evidence that it is a delayed immune response to COVID-19..
- More recent CDC data indicate there another emerging peak in the pediatric condition consistent with that trend..
- children and teens have tested positive for COVID-19, according to data compiled by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children Hospital Association..
- Some cases, especially those that follow silent, undiagnosed COVID-19 infections, may be mistaken for Kawasaki disease, a rare condition that can cause red skin, swelling and heart problems..
- Dr. Sean O’Leary, vice chairman of the pediatrics academy infectious diseases committee, said the inflammatory condition typically causes children to become very sick very quickly, but that most ’’respond very well to treatment and the vast majority get completely better.”…