Sumary of Nearly 40,000 kids lost a parent to COVID-19, study suggests:
- Have lost at least one parent to COVID-19, new findings suggest, with adolescents accounting for the majority of the total..
- Researchers from Stony Brook University published findings in JAMA Pediatrics on Monday, which suggested 37,300 kids under the age of 17 lost a parent to COVID-19, as of February 2021..
- Rachel Kidman, corresponding study author and associate professor of Family, Population and Preventive Medicine at Stony Brook University, told Fox News in an email..
- study authors wrote, adding that sudden death of a parent can exacerbate trauma among children, and can “leave families ill-prepared to navigate its consequences.”.
- The team said the findings further demonstrate the pandemic disproportionate toll on racial and ethnic minorities, adding that Black children comprise 14% of kids in the U.S….