Sumary of ‘Now is the perfect time to be involved in space’: Edmonton physician and space scientist:
- It’s been an exciting week for Dr. Shawna Pandya and her “space friends.
- -born, Edmonton-raised physician, aquanaut and scientist-astronaut candidate has been fascinated by space travel as long as she can remember.
- “Like a lot of kids, I wanted to be an astronaut growing up,” Pandya told Global News on Thursday.
- Roberta Bondar became Canada’s first woman in space 25 years ago “I was tremendously inspired by Dr. Roberta Bondar, the first Canadian female astronaut in space.
- “‘So now all I have to do is go be a physician neuroscientist astronaut and then that’s my path.
- ‘” Story continues below And that’s what she did, earning a degree in neuroscience from the University of Alberta, studying medicine, then taking her Masters at the International Space University in France, which she describes as “real-life Star Fleet Academy.
- ” Pandya serves as medical advisor to several space, medical and technology companies.
- Dr. Shawna Pandya tests a next-generation Final Frontier IVA (intravehicular activity) spacesuit in microgravity during the 2018 PoSSUM parabolic flight campaign.