Sumary of Ontario experts call for updated COVID-19 screening, school attendance policies:
- TORONTO — The runny nose will likely retain its power to turn school days and work schedules upside down in September, but Ontario’s science advisers are envisioning fewer snotty disruptions the lower the COVID-19 risk becomes.
- Earlier this year, amid the rising third wave, the province said that a student had to stay home if anyone in the household had a symptom.
- Science advisers are suggesting those policies should be updated.
- ”The science table issued recommendations earlier this week for schools, urging that they be closed only in the most catastrophic situations.
- Ontario is currently offering vaccines to anyone aged 12 and older.
- COVID-19: Ontario science advisory group recommends extra curriculars resume, schools stay open Juni said the hope is that one day, perhaps when Ontario has 90 per cent vaccine coverage, with low case counts and low risk, “a runny nose of a child does not disrupt the daily realities of school.
- ” Story continues below Meanwhile, Ontario reported 135 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and four new deaths.