Sumary of Study suggests that children with Down syndrome are at a higher risk of leukaemia:
- Children with Down syndrome have a substantially increased risk of multiple health conditions compared to the general population..
- Study findings on leukemia in children with Down syndrome The researchers examined medical data of more than 3.9 million children born 1996-2016 in seven US healthcare systems or in Ontario, Canada..
- The data included the children health information from birth to cancer diagnosis, death, age of 15 years, disenrollment, or December 30, 2016..
- said Emily Marlow, first author and a recent graduate from UC Davis Department of Public Health Sciences and Graduate Group in Epidemiology..
- The study estimated the incidence and hazard ratios of leukemia for children with Down syndrome and other children, adjusting for the health system, child age at diagnosis, birth year and sex..
- It found that 2.8 per cent of children with Down syndrome were diagnosed with leukemia, compared to 0.05 per cent of other children..
- Compared to other children, kids with Down syndrome had a higher risk of AML before the age of five and a higher risk of acute lymphoid leukemia (ALL) regardless of age..
- Catching leukemia in kids The researchers urged parents with kids with Down syndrome to keep an eye for signs of leukemia…