Sumary of The Latest: Bangladesh schools open, most staff vaccinated:
- DHAKA, Bangladesh — Bangladesh has reopened schools and other educational institutions after 543 days of closure as its virus situation eases and more people are vaccinated.
- Education Minister Dipu Moni on Sunday warned against any lax enforcement of safety measures.
- ___MORE ON THE PANDEMIC:— Tale of two clinics: Lines in Kenya, few takers in Atlanta— From virus to storm, Louisiana’s marginalized see ‘no way out’— Crowded U.S. football stadiums create combustible mix this fall— Coronavirus infects several gorillas at Atlanta zoo— See AP coverage at https://apnews.
- Economy Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura, who is in charge of COVID-19 measures, told NHK public television’s weekly talk show Sunday that about 60% of the population is expected to be fully vaccinated by the end of September, on par with current levels in Europe.
- A family member told news station KTLA-TV that Daniel Macias of Yucaipa died on Thursday, leaving behind five young children, including a newborn girl.
- He and his wife, Davy Macias contracted COVID-19 after going on a family trip to the beach and an indoor water park.