Sumary of The winter Covid plan will be marked by delay, confusion and ignorance. Sound familiar? | Gabriel Scally:
- All the signs are that Boris Johnson will this week unveil a winter plan for Covid.
- The government and its senior officials claim Covid should be regarded as similar to influenza and that we have to “learn to live with it”.
- Perhaps the worst manifestation is the UK’s three-month delay in using the approved vaccines to protect children aged 12 to 15. Last week, Dr Anthony Fauci, the chief medical adviser to President Biden, gave a lecture to a UK public health society.
- He strongly backed the US policy of fully vaccinating young people for three reasons.
- The delay in vaccinating young people is all the more surprising given that the government and their advisers have put all of their eggs into the vaccination basket.
- We know that the virus is airborne, yet ventilation is woefully neglected – despite the excellent scientific advice provided to the government by SAGE experts.
- Trade unions and professional bodies of every kind should be making it clear that preventing people from being infected through contaminated air is essential.
- We now know that airborne transmission is the major problem, but the public has not been told that we need to shift to the use of properly manufactured masks.