Sumary of Congo-Brazzaville: Govt Suspends the Importation, Sale of Johnson’s Baby Powder:
- After several weeks of consultation with civil society, the Ministry of Commerce has decided to suspend the importation and marketing of this powder in the country..
- Protective seizures of said product will be made from all distribution establishments, in depots and stores”, a circular from officials dated 3 November reads..
- The decision of the public authorities is a first victory for the Action for the Environment and Development (AED), at the initiative of an information meeting for civil society on November 13 in Brazzaville..
- Following the ban on the same powder in the USA and Canada, IPEN asked the AED to lead the battle for the withdrawal of the cosmetic product in Congo..
- “It is not the brand that is targeted by our actions, but rather talc-based baby powder which is potentially carcinogenic since the company has a variety of other products on the market,”…