Sumary of COVID: Mammogram Rates Rebound, Concerns Remain:
- It’s one thing to delay screening for three to six months, for example, but we get a little more worried when we’re delaying for a whole year or even, thinking more worst case, folks who have been more dramatically impacted by the pandemic, maybe loss of employment or loss of health insurance, who maybe will drop out of screening altogether,”.
- Sprague said further research is ongoing to understand the impact of the pandemic on breast cancer detection and outcomes..
- Another recent report found that while cancer screening rates are beginning to rebound, patients are being diagnosed with more advanced cancers than before the pandemic..
- Dr. Thomas Eichler, chairman of the American Society for Radiation Oncology, told reporters during a briefing on the findings last week..
- “Modern treatments, such as stereotactic radiation therapy or immunotherapy drugs, may offset some of the threat from advanced-stage cancers.”…