Sumary of Many Americans Wrong About Sun’s Skin Cancer Dangers: Poll:
- Fifty-three percent of respondents didn’t realize shade offers protection from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays, and 47% incorrectly said a base tan would prevent sunburns or were unsure..
- “These findings surprised us and demonstrate that misperceptions about skin cancer and sun exposure are still prevalent,”.
- “As dermatologists who see firsthand the impact that skin cancer, including melanoma — the deadliest form of skin cancer — has on our patients and their families, it’s concerning to see that so many individuals still do not understand how to protect themselves from ultraviolet exposure,”.
- The survey revealed that people born after 1996 (Generation Z) had the greatest misunderstandings about sun exposure, followed closely by those who were born between 1981 and 1996 (millennials)..
- “Gen Z and millennials have a lifetime of potential damaging sun exposure ahead of them, so now is the time to close the knowledge gap and ensure they are aware of how easy it is to practice sun-safe behavior.”…