Sumary of Need Help With a Colon Cancer Diagnosis? Text COLON to 484848 The Colorectal Cancer Provider Outreach Program, CRC POP, brings newly diagnosed patients helpful information about support services in a single place.:
- Many patients’ first thoughts are to go online for information, but that too can be overwhelming.
- For example, a Google search for the words “colorectal cancer” turns up roughly 134 million results, in six-tenths of a second, no less.
- Those results can range from the helpful and important, such as the website Cancer.
- Gov from the U.S. National Cancer Institute, to the stupid and downright dangerous, such as a Facebook page touting Aunt Tilly’s Miracle Mayonnaise Cure for Colon Cancer.
- It offers 11 tips for coping with a cancer diagnosis, the first of which is, “Get the facts about your cancer diagnosis.
- ” That recommendation is the inspiration for the Colorectal Cancer Provider Outreach Program (CRC POP).
- Text COLON to 484848“There are 13,000 gastroenterologists in the country, and we diagnose colorectal cancer 150,000 times a year,” says program creator Brian Dooreck, MD, of Memorial Healthcare System in Pembroke Pines, FL.
- “What we created with the Colorectal Cancer Provider Outreach Program is that it now allows gastroenterologists to have a conversation with a patient — I can say, ‘Now listen, take out your phone, and text the word COLON and send it to 484848,” he says.