67 COVID-19 cases now tied to Tokyo Olympics as experts warn of ‘worrying’ situation on …

67 covid 19 cases now tied to tokyo olympics as experts warn of worrying situation on the ground

Sumary of 67 COVID-19 cases now tied to Tokyo Olympics as experts warn of ‘worrying’ situation on the ground:

  • “You’re now introducing risk factors from elsewhere,” Dr. Nitin Mohan, a Toronto-based physician-epidemiologist and public health consultant, told CBC News.
  • ” Just last week, International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach said tight protocols at the Games would leave “zero” risk of participants infecting residents in Japan, which is experiencing a spike in cases among its largely unvaccinated population.
  • More from Tokyo 2020 But Kenji Shibuya, the former director of the Institute for Population Health at King’s College London, recently told Reuters the actual conditions on the ground were “totally opposite,” with the potential to fuel clusters of infections in the village accommodations or among locals.
  • The IOC did implement strict testing regimes and regulations, including spectator-free venues and a playbook encouraging delegates to avoid physical contact.
  • (Steph Chambers/Getty Images) On Monday, the IOC’s Bach said 85 per cent of Olympic Village residents have been either vaccinated or are immune to COVID-19, which leaves around 15 per cent unprotected.
  • That’s concerning, according to Mohan, who said even professional athletes have reported long-lasting health impacts following coronavirus infections.
  • “We’re pretty certain that if you test people and you mitigate by masking and ventilation and distancing and all that kind of stuff, the risk is actually pretty low … but if you have gaps in that, that’s when you will have problems,” said Dr. Andrew Morris, an infectious diseases specialist with Sinai Health System in Toronto.
  • WATCH | IOC’s Bach says ‘zero’ risk of COVID-19 spreading from participants: IOC president Thomas Bach speaks about the Olympic’s COVID-19 protocols, saying the Japanese public is at no risk from Olympic participants.

Want to know more click here go to source.

From -

Close
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content

Site Language


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close