Nova Scotia is reporting eight new coronavirus cases on Saturday as the number of active cases increased to 33.
It’s the largest single-day case increase in Nova Scotia since May, a detail noted by the province’s top doctor in a press release accompanying the case update.
“It is critical that we all do our part to prevent and reduce the spread of COVID-19,” said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health.
Read more: Nova Scotia strengthens COVID-19 measures for Halifax area, reports 5 new cases
All of the new cases are located in Nova Scotia’s central zone.
Two are connected to previously reported cases and six are under investigation.
“These increasing case numbers tell us we need to follow public health protocols to get back on track, especially in the greater Halifax area,” said Premier Stephen McNeil.
“We have restrictions and guidelines in place to protect the health of fellow Nova Scotians — limit social contacts, practice social distancing, wear a mask and wash your hands.”
Officials announced a number of new restrictions for the central zone on Friday that are set to come into effect on Monday.
[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
The goal is to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the region as officials see community transmission in urban and suburban areas in Halifax.
CERB was collected by high-income earners, new data shows
2020-2021 winter forecast: Here’s what weather Canadians can expect coast to coast to coast
Effective Monday, all of the HRM except the areas east of Porters Lake to Ecum Secum are subject to the following social gathering regulations:A maximum of five people can gather in a close social group without physical distancing.…