Sumary of Activists block US-Canada oil pipeline:
- Environmental activists and Native American protestors blocked construction of a controversial oil pipeline between Canada and the United States for several hours with police arresting more than 160 demonstrators, according to a nonprofit..
- and the sound of tribal drums, several hundred protesters, including actress and activist Jane Fonda, occupied the construction site in Lake Itasca, Minnesota, on Monday before being dislodged by the police..
- But the new route, which should make it possible to increase the volume transported, faces opposition from Native American communities who warn that local rivers are threatened by oil spills, which would devastate their way of life..
- They also denounced what they said was a violation of treaties Native tribes signed with the US government and called on President Joe Biden to revoke Enbridge’s licenses..
- Tactics to force out the protesters, some of whom had chained themselves to construction equipment, included a helicopter that blew dust on the rally, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper….