Sumary of Alert! Scientists Detect New COVID-19 Variant In South Africa: Know All About It:
- Health oi-DW News on November 26, 2021 South African scientists have detected a new COVID-19 variant that is posing a “major threat” to efforts to curb the virus, officials announced at a press conference on Thursday, November 25. Health Minister Joe Phaahla said the variant, called B.
- “[It] is now a variant of serious concern which driving the spike in numbers,” said Phaahla.
- Christina Pagel, the director of Clinical Operational Research Unit at University College London (UCL) and a leading UK expert on COVID-19, called the new variant “extremely worrying.
- South Africa calls for urgent talks with WHO South Africa has asked the World Health Organization (WHO) working group on virus evolution to hold an urgent meeting on Friday to discuss the new variant.
- Researchers from the Network for Genomic Surveillance in South Africa said current PCR tests were able to detect the variant, which has also been found in Botswana and Hong Kong in people who traveled from South Africa.