Sumary of Aphibarnrat leads PGA Championship:
- WENTWORTH, UK: Thailand’s Kiradech Aphibarnrat set the halfway target at the PGA Championship as the battle for the remaining Ryder Cup berths intensified at Wentworth on Friday (Saturday in Manila).
- Justin Rose is one of those looking to seal a Ryder Cup place and is well-positioned alongside Jamie Donaldson and Billy Horschel on nine-under.
- Lowry and Lee Westwood’s Ryder Cup places are under threat from Austria’s Bernd Wiesberger, who could overtake Rory McIlroy in the European points list with a top-50 finish or better.
- Westwood was on course to miss the cut when he covered the front nine in 37 to fall back to level par, but made four birdies on the back nine to record a second-successive 70.But the veteran Englishman criticized the format that has left many players pushing themselves just two weeks out from the Ryder Cup.
- “I’m here to try and win the tournament and Sunday night, if you’re in the team, then you start thinking about the Ryder Cup,” Westwood said.
- “I think some of the guys turning up here don’t need this week right now, knowing what the Ryder Cup is like, they don’t need this week, two weeks before the Ryder Cup.