Sumary of Arbitral ruling crucial in drafting Code of Conduct:
- DIFFERING opinions and viewpoints about the Code of Conduct (CoC) on the South China Sea were discussed and elaborated at the inaugural Ambassador Rodolfo Severino Jr.
- Former Foreign Affairs secretary Albert del Rosario delivered the lecture livestreamed through Zoom, Facebook and YouTube.
- ” del Rosario underscored the immense importance of respecting the 2016 ruling of the Arbitral Tribunal in approaching any discussion about the CoC.
- “What is crucial is the enforcement of the 2016 ruling, to uphold the rule of law,” del Rosario said.
- ” The former DFA secretary and former ambassador of the Philippines to the United States reiterated the implications of the ruling, which invalidated what he characterized as China’s dubious claim of historic rights embodied by its nine-dash line claim.
- As such, del Rosario said the CoC needs to be a mechanism that enables the enforcement of the arbitral ruling.