Sumary of Australia coronavirus live news: Victoria records no new Covid cases as Melbourne lockdown ends:
- We’ll provide the commissioner with the resources and time required to complete this important work as requested..
- Amnesty International has collected new evidence of human rights abuses in China Xinjiang region, which it says has become a “dystopian hellscape”.
- The human rights organisation has collected more than 50 new accounts from Uyghurs, Kazakhs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic minorities who claim to have been subjected to mass internment and torture in police stations and camps in the region..
- Star swimmer Maddie Groves has pulled out of the Australian Olympic swimming trials just days before the event begins in Adelaide, saying her last-minute withdrawal should be a lesson to “all misogynistic perverts in sport”..
- Groves, who won two silver medals at the Rio Games five years ago, was aiming to reach her second Olympics at the national trials, which start this weekend and run for six days..
- But the 26-year-old butterfly specialist, also a two-time Commonwealth Games gold medallist, announced her decision not to compete in a social media post on Wednesday night..
- and to “make them pervs quake in fear from the number of people supporting a statement that threatens their existence”, she made allegations about her treatment by an unnamed individual involved in the sport..
- Star swimmer Maddie Groves withdraws from Olympics as lesson to ‘misogynistic perverts’ Just had NSW Cross Border Commissioner James McTavish on our program….