Sumary of Australia Covid live news update: Scott Morrison to speak after NSW records 110 local coronavirus cases and Victoria 22:
- Controversy has hit Australia’s Olympic team on the first day of Tokyo 2020 action, with showjumper Jamie Kermond provisionally suspended by Equestrian Australia after returning a positive A-sample for cocaine.
- Kermond is barred from all competition, including the Olympics, while the provisional suspension is in place.
- Kermond was due to make his Olympic debut in Tokyo, riding Yandoo Oaks Constellation, having helped secure Australia’s team quota at the 2018 World Equestrian Games Team.
- The 36-year-old Victorian is now in limbo – under Australia’s anti-doping policy, Kermond can request to have his B-sample analysed.
- Equestrian Australia said it had spoken with Kermond and offered him support services.
- Guardian Australia has approached Kermond’s team for comment.
- The latest figures from the health department show that just one in four aged care workers are fully vaccinated while 43% have received their first dose.
- The federal health minister, Greg Hunt, and his staff are also more closely involved, the ANMF said, which is helping.