Sumary of Australia Covid live update: Australia secures 1m more Moderna vaccine doses; NSW reports 1,262 cases, seven deaths; Victoria records 392 cases, ACT 15:
- Prime minister Jacinda Ardern said that restrictions on the city would remain for now, with any changes to be announced tomorrow.
- The prime minister is also asked his views about vaccine mandates for teachers.
- The country has to make decisions, and we have got to ensure that Australians can get back to living their lives again, which is what the national plan is all about.
- He also backed the idea of turning the MCG into a mass vaccination hub on grand final eve, saying there was sufficient supplies for this to happen if the Victorian government pursued it.
- Victorian press conference: In the wake of the PM’s announcement of Victoria receiving extra doses from the latest Moderna haul, premier Daniel Andrews has said he’d like to see equal split of the doses.
- He said he wanted to see about a quarter go to Victoria: I think a pro rata share would be good, so 26%, something along those lines.
- I think we’ll very soon see some announcements about some additional doses coming from the commonwealth government.
- I will wait for the prime minister to pick up the phone and tell us.