Sumary of Australia Covid news live update: NSW records 1,599 cases and eight deaths; Victoria reports 450 infections and ACT 15:
- Health minister Martin Foley has said the outbreak in Victoria continues to overwhelmingly affect people under the age of 50 and the unvaccinated.
- There were a record number of vaccines administered in state clinics – 39,148 on Friday, with a total of 87,000 including GPs and pharmacies.
- September 11, 2021 Meanwhile, in Victoria: Paul Dowsley (@paul_dowsley) #BREAKING One day after regional Victoria came out of lockdown, Health Minister @MartinFoleyMP says 8 of yesterday’s 450 cases are in regional Victoria, all with links back to Melbourne – five in Geelong and one each in Beveridge, Cohuna and Daylesford.
- I do not think anybody suggests that I or the premier or any of the other ministers have not been available.
- I think this is probably 500-something press conferences I have done in the last 20 months and it would be similar with the premier.
- Photograph: Dan Himbrechts/AAP Brad Hazzard is asked about whether the school reopening date could be brought forward, given the rate of vaccinations.
- Brad Hazzard goes on to say about the widely panned decision to end daily press conferences: I think getting the balance right, making sure we get the information out [to the] community is critical but we were doing that before.
- At the present time, while we are dealing with all these issues, we were having press conferences.