Sumary of Australia Covid news live update: Victoria records 450 new cases and Qld five; Berejiklian faces backlash over abandoned press conferences:
- There worse is yet to come in many of the locked-down areas, with cases expected to peak in the next week, putting significant strain on hospitals and ambulances.
- NSW ambulances are already enduring a daily level of demand typical of New Year’s Eve as they transport hundreds of suspected COVID-19 patients each day.
- Some 3,500 people diagnosed with or suspected of having the virus were transported by ambulances in NSW in the past two weeks, NSW Ambulance Commissioner Dominic Morgan told reporters on Friday.
- The number of new locally acquired cases reported remains high too, with 1,542 testing positive to the virus in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday.
- ) AAP reports that: Two Victorians have been sent back to locked down Melbourne after trying to get into Perth to watch AFL finals matches.
- Photograph: Richard Wainwright/AAP The lovely town of Daylesford in central Victoria has recorded a Covid-19 case, AAP reports: A small Victorian town is dealing with a coronavirus scare on the same day it was released from lockdown, as Melburnians face an anxious wait for a roadmap out of their restrictions.
- Premier Daniel Andrews said the government is waiting for detailed modelling from the Burnett Institute before releasing its plans.
- This is how the daily numbers have trended in the state since premier Daniel Andrews announced the goal was no longer covid zero on 31 August: 76, 120, 176, 208, 190, 183, 246, 246, 221, 324, 334, 450. I believe Victoria has recorded its higher ever dose number in state-run clinics, with 39,148 slightly higher than the amount recorded yesterday.