Sumary of Australia Covid update: NSW reports 1,262 new cases and Victoria 392 as outbreaks spread:
- New South Wales health authorities say there are signs Covid case numbers are stabilising in the areas worst-hit by the outbreak, but there is growing concern about increasing spread in inner-city suburbs including Redfern.
- The daily 11am updates will from Monday be replaced by a video from NSW Health to communicate the new case numbers and concerns of the day.
- The seven deaths reported in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday include a man in his 20s from western Sydney and six people from south-western Sydney in their 40s, 50s, 70s and 80s.
- The chief health officer, Kerry Chant, said the man in his 20s was unvaccinated and had significant underlying health conditions.
- “When we talk about the fact that people are dying whether they are vaccinated or have underlying health conditions, it really is to highlight the fact that there are still many people in the community who are elderly and not vaccinated, who have underlying health conditions,” Chant said.
- “However, I just want to make the point, that while you are likely to have more severe Covid if you are older and have underlying health conditions, even previously healthy people of all ages can get severe disease and die.
- ”NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant speaks during the press conference in Sydney on Sunday.
- Cases are expected to peak in the next week, putting significant strain on hospitals and ambulances.