Sumary of Australia news live blog: Qld eases Covid border rules; SA outlines changes to restrictions; Scott Morrison says ABC not beyond ‘the scrutiny of the Senate’:
- A “root cause” of the tragedy that led to 50 resident deaths at St Basil’s aged care home was an eight-day delay between the reporting of its first Covid case to Victoria’s health department and the testing of all residents, a coronial inquest has heard.
- New evidence of failures at the home was obtained in recent months, counsel assisting Peter Rozen QC said in his opening address to the inquest, which began on Monday with the names of those who died being read as the court stood in silence.
- St Basil’s aged care inquest hears testing delays after first Covid-19 case a ‘root cause’ of 50 deaths Senator Jacqui Lambie has turned to a Facebook poll to help her decide how to vote on the Coalition’s proposed voter ID bill.
- ” NSW SES chief superintendent Greg Swindells said they have significant resources out at Forbes.
- The chief of the Australian defence force, General Angus Campbell, says it is an “open question” whether Afghanistan will re-emerge as a base for international terrorism.
- The parliamentary inquiry into housing affordability has concluded for the day, after the usual clashes between chair Liberal MP Jason Falinski and regulators over housing supply and planning laws.
- Falinski asked Roberts repeatedly if this meant APRA “doesn’t care” about affordability – prompting the reply that it is not in APRA’s mandate.