Sumary of Australia sets coronavirus case record:
- Matt CoughlanAAPCamera IconSydney remains the epicentre of Australia’s COVID-19 outbreak, driving record daily case numbers.
- Credit: AAPShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail UsCopy the LinkAustralia’s coronavirus daily cases have reached 1900 for the first time during the pandemic with numbers in NSW set to peak next week.
- The record increase was driven by 1542 new infections across NSW, but Sydney remains the outbreak’s epicentre.
- Despite Sydney’s crisis driving hospitalisations higher and leading to another nine deaths, the NSW government is pursuing its freshly revealed reopening strategy.
- That’s put heat on the Victorian government to follow suit with a road map out of Melbourne’s lockdown linked to vaccination rates.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison said border restrictions would increasingly amount to “lockouts” when other states opened.
- “The prime minister believes immunisation rates in the west will rise rapidly once people see freedom to travel on the other side of the country.