Sumary of Australia‘s bold call on new variant:
- The Australian government has made some surprising comments about the worrying new variant of Covid-19.The Australian government has made some surprising comments about the concerning new variant of the coronavirus, offering some very different advice to Britain.
- The UK‘s health security agency has expressed serious concerns about the new strain, known as B11529, which is believed to be circulating in a number of South African provinces.
- On Thursday, British Health Secretary Sajid Javid announced the UK would slam its borders shut to six African nations and place them on its travel Red List.
- “Our scientists are deeply concerned about this variant,” Mr Javid said.
- ”But Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt expressed a very different perspective on the new variant when he spoke to the press on Friday.
- ”The Prime Minister expressed similar sentiments to Mr Hunt, urging Australians not to panic about the new variant yet.
- The World Health Organisation will meet today to discuss whether to declare B11529 a major new variant.