Sumary of Belgian police fire water cannon to clear anti-lockdown party:
- Belgian police fired water cannon and tear gas as they moved in Saturday to clear a crowd of several hundred gathered in a park to protest anti-virus lockdown rules..
- Prime Minister Alexander de Croo had urged the crowds to stay away, and hundreds of officers were deployed before the order to clear the park was given..
- AFP reporters in the Bois de la Cambre, a large park in the city, saw fireworks set off and some missiles thrown before police moved in..
- As the clearance operation began there was little immediate sign of violent resistance from protesters but a dustbin was set on fire as the crowd retreated..
- As police cars and armored trucks with water cannon rolled onto the grass close to the heart of the gathering, the merry-makers chanted:.
- A helicopter and a drone hovered overhead, but the protesters’ music all but drowned out police demands for masking and social distancing…