Sumary of BFP moderization law enactment lauded:
- Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go lauded President Duterte for signing into law Republic Act (RA) 11589, which mandates the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) to develop and implement a fire protection modernization program.
- “It is important to support the modernization of our Bureau of Fire Protection because of its mandate to save lives,” said Go in Filipino.
- RA 11589 mandates the BFP to develop and implement a fire protection modernization program.
- This will include the acquisition of modern firefighting equipment, the expansion of the BFP’s manpower and the provision of specialized training for firefighters, among others.
- } The BFP shall also be mandated to conduct monthly fire prevention campaigns and information drives in every local government unit.
- Among the provisions in the law is establishing specialized fire protection services in every region and city which includes a Security and Protection Unit (SPU).