Sumary of Boris Johnson urged to keep English Covid rules in place beyond 21 June:
- With just 10 days until the final stage of his roadmap, when all legal limits on social contact could be removed, the prime minister is under growing pressure to err on the side of caution given a surge in cases of the Delta variant, first discovered in India..
- Jim McManus, vice-president of the Association of Directors of Public Health, said a complete lifting of measures risked cases and hospitalisations rising further, potentially leading to more variants that could undermine the vaccine rollout..
- The pressure from backbench Tory MPs grew as the former prime minister Theresa May laid into the government over restrictions on international travel..
- She accused ministers of sending mixed messages and overseeing a chaotic system, and said they should be upfront about the fact that Covid will never be completely eradicated from the UK..
- The former transport secretary Chris Grayling said decisions being made by the government would cost hundreds of thousands of jobs, force businesses to close and leave the aviation industry “decimated for the future”..
- The former health minister Stephen Hammond accused the government of ignoring the data and making “illogical”…