Sumary of Brandon Lewis restates determination to address problems with Northern Ireland protocol – as it happened:
- In fact, Lewis was hardly the first to acknowledge problems with the Northern Ireland protocol, the post-Brexit arrangement that effectively puts a GB/NI customs border down the Irish Sea, because on 1 January he notoriously posted a tweet saying there was no Irish Sea border..
- (See 5.09pm.) However, the protocol is a legally-binding international treaty, and the government has yet to reach agreement with the EU on how it might be amended..
- Brian Lawless/PA Nicola Sturgeon comment about how getting the AstraZeneca vaccine might be “one of the least risky things you do in the day”.
- Sadiq Khan, the Labour mayor of London, on an election campaign visit to the Shree Ghanapathy Temple in Wimbledon today..
- Stefan Rousseau/PA The Welsh government would train 12,000 staff to work in the NHS, if the Labour party wins May Senedd elections, PA Media reports..
- Among the other pledges from Welsh Labour are a new medical school in north Wales and improved pay for social care staff..
- Launching Welsh Labour Senedd election manifesto, Mark Drakeford, the first minister, said every pledge has been “fully tested and costed”…