Sumary of Britons aged 75 and over using internet nearly double in seven years:
- The proportion of people aged 75 and over using the internet has nearly doubled in the last seven years, official data shows..
- Figures compiled by the Office of National Statistics show that while there has been little change in internet use for adults aged 16 to 44, the number of older people going online has shot up from 29% in 2013 to 54% in 2020..
- However, it is expected that coronavirus has further increased internet use among older people as a lot of services moved online amid social distancing..
- Jim Whelan, 79, said he had barely used his computer before the pandemic but a year on, he is much more knowledgable about the world wide web..
- said Whelan, a former Coronation Street actor who before the pandemic used to travel around local community groups to give talks about his 50 years in the acting profession….