Sumary of Cambodia’s tourism sector reels from Covid, hopes for ‘new normal’:
- PHNOM PENH: The Tourism Ministry is hoping for a “new normal” by the end of this year but right now hoteliers, tour operators and travel agents are suffering from a far from normal situation.
- With business travelers forced to quarantine for two weeks and no decision on when to start reissuing tourist visas, international arrivals have fallen off a cliff.
- The number of domestic tourists dropped by 27 percent in the first weekend of September, compared with the first weekend in July.
- Chinese are the biggest visitors to the Kingdom, and Pacific Asia Travel Association Cambodia Chapter Chairman Sinan Thourn says they are unable to visit, or – if they have already arrived in Cambodia – they are stranded.
- The connections are halving from one country to another, especially between Cambodia and China.
- There have not been many flights from China to Cambodia and almost zero flights from Cambodia back to China.
- The government’s new normal envisages a gradual return of tourists.