Sumary of Can you get infected with two Covid variants simultaneously? Here’s what doctors say:
- As experts study Covid breakthrough cases, India recently recorded its first case of an Assam doctor getting infected with two Covid variants even after being fully vaccinated.
- Similar cases of co-infection have been earlier found in the UK, Brazil and Portugal.
- Co-infection with two Covid variants Co-infection of respiratory viruses is not uncommon, Dr Vichar Nigam, Internal Medicine – consultant physician &
- However, Dr Nigam says that for now, cases of co-infection with two Covid variants can be termed as “rare”.
- “Mutants of COVID-19 virus pose a larger threat of such co-infections.
- Coinfections with respiratory virus can occur, as it has a tendency to evolve and mutate,” adds Dr Rajesh Chawla, senior consultant, Pulmonology and Critical Care, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi.