Sumary of CDC group weighs Covid booster shots for immunocompromised people at higher risk of breakthrough infections:
- Geert Vanden Wijngaert | Bloomberg | Getty ImagesA CDC advisory group is considering whether fully vaccinated Americans with weakened immune systems need a booster dose of a Covid vaccine after data shows they are less likely to have antibodies to fight the disease and more likely to suffer from a so-called breakthrough infection.
- Immunosuppressed populations represent 44% of hospitalized Covid breakthrough cases — an infection in a fully vaccinated individual, according to a slide presented Thursday at the agency’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices meeting.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s advisory committee is also meeting to discuss the safety profile of the Johnson &
- The advisory panel cannot recommend additional shots for anyone until the Food and Drug Administration grants full approval of the Covid vaccines or amends the emergency use authorizations.
- The CDC group has previously said that more vulnerable Americans, such as elderly people or transplant recipients, may need an extra dose.