Sumary of Charges dropped against Vancouver man jailed on Christmas Day for allegedly hosting parties:
- Charges have been dropped against a Vancouver man who spent Christmas in jail for allegedly repeatedly hosting parties in violation of COVID-19 public health orders..
- 1:41 Vancouver man jailed on Christmas Day for violation of ban on social gatherings Vancouver man jailed on Christmas Day for violation of ban on social gatherings – Dec 30, 2020 BC Prosecution Service spokesperson Daniel McLaughlin with told Global News the decision to stay the charges was made after further information was received by the prosecutor with conduct of the file..
- After a review of this new information and the rest of the file materials, McLaughlin said the prosecutor concluded the charge approval standard could no longer be met..
- Under charge assessment guidelines applied by the BC Prosecution Service, charges will only be approved or continued where Crown Counsel is satisfied that the evidence gathered by the investigative agency provides a substantial likelihood of conviction and, if so, that a prosecution is required in the public interest..
- In this case, McLaughlin said the prosecutor “concluded the evidentiary test was no longer met and directed the stay of proceedings.”.
- police Vancouver police said they had received 12 complaints about noise and parties at the downtown apartment since September 2020, and when a neighbour complained about another loud party on Dec…