Sumary of Charity pledges £500,000 for research into COVID-19 and heart conditions:
- © iStock/magicmine Three new research projects will investigate the impact of COVID-19 on the heart and circulatory system..
- National charity Heart Research UK has pledged over £500,000 to support the research, as part of a new grant scheme to examine the links between COVID-19 and cardiovascular conditions..
- The charity hopes this research will improve outcomes for patients suffering from COVID-19 who may have underlying cardiovascular problems..
- Immune therapies The research at Newcastle University, led by Ioakim Spyridopoulos, Professor of Cardiovascular Gerontology, will investigate long-term inflammation of the heart in COVID-19 patients..
- It is hoped that the findings will inform immune therapies to prevent heart inflammation and therefore reduce the risk of cardiovascular complications in patients recovering from COVID-19..
- “We have known for some time that people with pre-existing heart problems are more susceptible to suffering severe consequences from COVID-19, as well as the virus being able to damage the heart itself…