Sumary of Child labor enslaves 160M people – UN:
- The world has marked the first rise in child labor in two decades and the coronavirus crisis threatens to push millions more youngsters toward the same fate, the United Nations said on Thursday..
- In a joint report, the International Labor Organization and the UN children’s agency United Nations International Children Emergency Fund (Unicef) said the number in child labor stood at 160 million at the start of 2020 – an increase of 8.4 million in four years..
- Just as the Covid-19 crisis was beginning to pick up steam, nearly one in 10 children globally were stuck in child labor with sub-Saharan Africa the worst affected..
- While the percentage of children in child labor remained the same as in 2016, population growth meant that the numbers rose significantly..
- “We are losing ground in the fight to end child labor, “Unicef Chief Henrietta Fore told reporters, stressing that “the Covid-19 crisis is making a bad situation even worse.”.
- If the latest projections of poverty increases due to the pandemic materialize, another 9 million children will be pushed into child labor by the end of 2022, the report said..
- But statistical modelling shows that number could potentially be more than five times higher, according to Unicef statistics specialist Claudia Cappa, who co-authored the report..
- as a result of austerity measures and other factors, the number of children falling into child labor can go up (an additional) 46 million”…