Sumary of China ‘taken aback’ by WHO’s plan for 2nd probe into origins of COVID-19:
- China cannot accept the World Health Organization’s plan for the second phase of a study into the origins of COVID-19, a senior Chinese health official said Thursday.
- Zeng Yixin, the vice minister of the National Health Commission, said he was “rather taken aback” by the call for a further into the pandemic’s origins and specifically, the theory that the virus might have leaked from a Chinese lab.
- “It is impossible for us to accept such an origin-tracing plan,” he said a a news conference called to address the COVID-19 origins issue.
- WHO asks China to be ‘transparent,’ provide raw data on COVID-19 origins Story continues below The search for the origins of the virus has become a diplomatic issue that has worsened China’s relations with the U.S. and many of its allies.
- He also says there had been a “premature push” to rule out the theory that the coronavirus might have escaped from a Chinese government lab in Wuhan.
- 0:26 China’s foreign ministry firmly denies Wuhan lab linked to COVID-19 outbreak China’s foreign ministry firmly denies Wuhan lab linked to COVID-19 outbreak – Jun 4, 2021 Tedros’ words were echoed by Germany’s health minister, Jens Spahn, who urged Chinese officials to allow the investigation into the origins of the virus to proceed.
- wildfire update Wednesday: ‘A bad stretch of weather ahead of us’ says premier Canadian travellers frustrated as U.S. cruise lines won’t recognize mixing-and-matching COVID-19 vaccines Story continues below Zeng said the Wuhan lab has no virus that can directly infect humans.
- World Health Organization ill-equipped to probe origins of COVID-19, experts argue Zeng also said reports that staff and graduate students at the Wuhan Institute of Virology had become sick with the virus and might have transmitted it to others were untrue.