Sumary of China uninterested in WHO plan for further COVID-19 origins study:
- China cannot accept the World Health Organization’s plan for the second phase of a study into the origins of COVID-19, a senior Chinese health official said Thursday.
- Zeng Yixin, the vice minister of the National Health Commission, said he was “rather taken aback” that the plan includes further investigation of the theory that the virus might have leaked from a Chinese lab.
- Liang Wannian, the Chinese co-leader of the joint China-WHO investigation into the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic, speaks at a news conference in Beijing on Thursday.
- Chinese officials dismiss the theory that the virus might have leaked from a Chinese lab.
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of WHO, acknowledged last week that it was premature to rule out a potential link between the pandemic and a leak from a Chinese government lab in Wuhan, the city where the disease was first detected in late 2019. Most experts don’t think a lab leak is the likely cause.
- WATCH \ Vanity Fair reporter on their investigative piece on the lab-leak theory: Vanity Fair contributing editor Katherine Eban talks about her months-long investigation into the emergence of the lab-leak theory, why it was dismissed for months, and how efforts to probe it were suppressed within parts of the U.S. government.
- 6:47 The first phase was conducted earlier this year by an international team of scientists who came to Wuhan to work with their Chinese counterparts.
- The team was accused of bowing to demands from the Chinese side after it initially indicated that further study wasn’t necessary.