Sumary of Coronavirus Australia: Victoria records 26 new cases overnight:
- The West AustralianCamera IconMembers of the public and health workers at a pop up COVID testing clinic.
- Credit: MICK TSIKAS/AAPIMAGEShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail UsCopy the LinkVictoria has recorded 26 new locally acquired cases of coronavirus a week into its statewide lockdown.
- The health department has confirmed Thursday’s new infections are all linked to the current outbreak, which originated in NSW and now totals 133 cases.
- But Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says he suspects the state would already be dealing with 200 to 300 cases if it had not entered lockdown a week ago, citing the highly infectious nature of the Delta variant.
- ”Prof Sutton said he believed community transmission had peaked but expected more household cases to emerge.
- The market said the health department has declared the entire building a tier- one exposure site, meaning anyone who visited during the time period must get tested and quarantine for 14 days.
- Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier says with multiple cases linked to both the winery and the restaurant, both are considered superspreader sites.
- Wednesday’s rise in cases came a day into SA’s week-long statewide lockdown.