Sumary of Coronavirus crisis: ‘Joints for jabs’ vaccine scheme in the US:
- It was designed as an innovative way to promote COVID-19 vaccinations, but a US state new “joints for jabs”.
- Officials in Washington announced on Monday that the state nearly 500 licensed marijuana retailers could begin hosting vaccine clinics and offering a single, free pre-rolled marijuana cigarette to any 21-plus adult who received a shot there..
- But few things are simple in an industry that illegal under federal law, and the hurdles to offering the free joints are substantial enough that few of the state legal pot shops are saying they will participate, even if they would like to do so..
- Retailers told the state Liquor and Cannabis Board during a meeting on Wednesday that many don’t have the space to host a vaccine clinic..
- The retailers also ruefully noted that the Liquor and Cannabis Board allowed breweries, wineries and bars to offer a free drink to customers who merely showed proof of vaccination – no onsite clinic required..
- Board chair David Postman told them it was a member of the business group who late last month suggested the program, which he and Governor Jay Inslee office thought was a great idea….