Sumary of Coronavirus crisis: South Africa COVID variant B.1.1.529 worries UK, Israel:
- Share to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail UsCopy the LinkA newly identified coronavirus variant that has spread in South Africa is the most concerning British health officials have seen as it has double the number of mutations of the Delta variant including some associated with evading immune response.
- The UK Health Security Agency said that the variant – called B.
- “What we do know is there’s a significant number of mutations, perhaps double the number of mutations that we have seen in the Delta variant,” Britain’s Health Minister Sajid Javid told broadcasters.
- } }Play VideoVideoHealth Secretary Sajid Javid says there are concerns that a new coronavirus variant “may be more transmissible” than the dominant Delta strain.
- Announcing new restrictions on travel to Britain from six countries including South Africa, Mr Javid s.
- The UK Health Security Agency said that no cases of the variant had been detected in Britain and they were in contact with South African colleagues over their data.