Sumary of Coronavirus crisis: Virus-ravaged India braces for ‘horrible’ weeks ahead:
- Coronavirus infections and deaths are mounting with alarming speed in India with no end in sight to the crisis and a top expert warning that the coming weeks in the country of nearly 1.4 billion people will be “horrible”..
- India official count of coronavirus cases surpassed 20 million on Tuesday, nearly doubling in the past three months, while deaths officially have passed 220,000..
- Staggering as those numbers are, the true figures are believed to be far higher, the under-count an apparent reflection of the troubles in the health care system..
- EPA Infections have surged in India since February in a disastrous turn blamed on more contagious variants of the virus as well as government decisions to allow massive crowds to gather for Hindu religious festivals and political rallies before state elections..
- The reported caseload is second only to that of the US, which has one-fourth the population of India but has recorded more than 32 million confirmed infections..
- India top health official, Rajesh Bhushan, refused to speculate last month as to why authorities weren’t better prepared..
- AP India official average of newly confirmed cases per day has soared from 65,000 on April 1 to about 370,000, and deaths per day have officially gone from about 300 to more than 3000…