Sumary of Coronavirus digest: Israel approves vaccines for over-5s:
- The United States Food and Drug administration in October granted emergency use of BioNTech-Pfizer COVID vaccine for the same age group at a 10-microgram dose.
- The total number of cases now stands at 5,045,076, and deaths at 97,715. Germany also logged a record seven-day high incidence rate — indicating the number of new COVID infections per 100,000 people — of 303 on Monday.
- Prominent United Kingdom epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, a member of the group of scientists who advise the Boris Johnson administration on COVID-19, told the BBC that booster jabs for younger age groups “make quite a big difference to driving transmission down to low levels.
- The UK had administered 12 million top-up jabs to those eligible, as of Sunday.
- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida outlined a plan last week to increase hospital beds for a possible resurgence of COVID-19 infections this winter.