Sumary of Coronavirus live: England confirms 42 Delta variant deaths; Germany to lift travel warnings to most countries:
- Number in England has risen to between 1.2 and 1.4 with the daily growth rate of infections also up compared to last week, the UK health ministry has said..
- A coronavirus vaccine being developed by Germany CureVac is facing delays as its late-stage trial has been slowed by the wait for enough participants to catch Covid, officials have said..
- CureVac initially expected to seek European approval for its jab in the second quarter, with Germany pencilling in 1.4 million doses by end-June..
- But health minister Jens Spahn told his regional counterparts the regulatory authorisation is now not expected to come before August, Baden-Wuerttemberg health minister Manfred Lucha told AFP, confirming earlier reports..
- Like the highly effective vaccines developed by faster rivals BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna, CureVac shot is based on novel mRNA technology..
- To complete its trial, involving about 40,000 volunteers in Europe and Latin America, CureVac needs at least 111 participants to contract the virus..
- I know this has been standard practice throughout the pandemic, but one wonders if earmarking hundreds of millions of doses of a medicine before it has been approved is the best way to ensure the most effective checking process..
- A fledgling G7 plan to donate 1 billion Covid-19 vaccine doses to poorer countries lacks ambition, is far too slow and shows Western leaders are not yet up to the job of tackling the worst public health crisis in a century, campaigners have said….